POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The mysteries of Erlang : Re: The mysteries of Erlang Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The mysteries of Erlang
From: clipka
Date: 9 Mar 2011 07:54:57
Message: <4d7778a1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.03.2011 12:05, schrieb Invisible:
> OK, so Erlang is something of an interesting case. There are several
> reasons for this:
> - The system is supposedly insanely reliable. People toss around "nine
> 9s up-time" as if this is some sort of experimentally verified *fact*.

That uptime claim is probably not based on reliability, but on the
ability to hot-swap code at runtime. Without such a feature, even the
most reliable computer system (hardware + software) will have
considerable downtime now and again just for the sake of updating the
software.

As for reliability, with Wings 3D being written in Erlang I'd say
apparently you can write unstable code in Erlang, too.