POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Matinee : Re: Matinee Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Matinee
From: clipka
Date: 8 Mar 2011 12:54:59
Message: <4d766d73$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.03.2011 19:32, schrieb Trevor G Quayle:
> I was doing some tooling about with the latest lighting challenge from 3DRender
> (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=955407) which features a
> movie theatre.  One of the maon aspects of lighting here will be that coming
> from the screen.  I first started using radiosity with an image projected on the
> screen, however it was becoming apparent that it may take some really high
> quality settings to get good results.  I then though of using an array of area
> lights created from the projector image. I had already done a lot of the
> mathwork in my lightdome work, so I did some quick conversions to making a
> planar version of it with some nice results.
>
> In the attached image, the first part is radiosity with some low quality
> settings.  The second is using the arealight array (16 area lights, 4x4 each).

I guess the area lights array is the way to go for the primary
illumination - though I'd suggest to not go without radiosity entirely,
as I guess it might give an added touch.

When using radiosity, don't forget that theaters typically use pretty
dark materials. Looks like you're using some bright grey for now, which
makes the radiosity scene unrealistically "light-flooded".

In case you want to give radiosity-only illumination another try, don't
forget that you can prioritize objects: Use "radiosity { importance 1.0
}" for the screen, and - say - "radiosity { importance 0.01 }" in the
#default block, then crank up the global settings' radiosity count.