POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Randomized orientation of pattern instances: an infinite procedural texture : Re: Randomized orientation of pattern instances: an infinite procedural texture Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Randomized orientation of pattern instances: an infinite procedural texture
From: Paolo Gibellini
Date: 7 Mar 2011 07:02:31
Message: <4d74c957@news.povray.org>
>Samuel Benge  on date 07/03/2011 07:30 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The basis for this texture is the 'cells' pattern.
>
> At each cell, another (visible) pattern is copied across space and randomly
> translated along each axis. Each cell references eight neighboring cells,
> producing a random, but coherent orientation of pattern instances stretching off
> to infinity.
>
> For this image, four images of leaves were used for input. These four images
> were used to make seven images of overlapping leaves. These seven images were
> used in a gradient z pattern. The resulting pattern was then unevenly scaled and
> twisted along the z-axis.
>
> In this way, an infinite texture is produced from just a few images, and it
> doesn't exhibit the usual repetition present when using straight image_maps.
> Common elements still show up regularly, but new images can be tossed into the
> array until it's too hard to tell anymore.
>
> Unfortunately, the input pattern is sampled 9 times. For each of those 9 times,
> the cells pattern is sampled 3 times and another function is used two times
> (9*(3+2))... so it renders slowly :(
>
> ~Sam

Very nice result, as usually.
I started something similar a few years ago while searching to place
building pieces in order to achieve an infinite house (I was reading a
Ray Bradbury novel), but render was too slow and I'm too lazy ;-)

I'm curious to see your infinite texture in action with colored 'cells'
patterns.

;-)
Paolo