POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : IRTC site : Re: IRTC site Server Time
2 May 2024 09:31:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC site
From: Fabien
Date: 6 Mar 2011 17:03:34
Message: <4d7404b6@news.povray.org>

> David has emailed me, and is going to set me up with the development environment
> for website. Once I've got it I'll take a look at how it works, and specifically
> investigate the session code to see if we can remove the problem that was
> causing the issues.

Great.

FWIW, I have a thought about these "sessions" problems.
Most parts of the IRTC site (round galleries, results,
homepage) doesn't need sessions, they can be "REST-ful",
and thus being bookmarkable and google-indexable without
further complication.

Submitting and voting, which should count for a small
part of pageviews (and thus memory usage), are the ones
which needs sessions. (and don't need to be bookmarked or
indexed)

 From what has already been said, session management through
URL appears to be a fundamental feature of Seaside.

What about keeping the existing Seaside code for submitting
and voting, and rewrite results, viewing and homepage using
another RESTful framework ?

BTW, I've just seen this on Wikipedia :
<<Compared to other web development frameworks, unspecified old version
of Seaside is memory intensive. A single session could accumulate
several hundred kilobytes of RAM. A later release of Seaside (2.8)
significantly reduces this footprint (e.g. a formerly typical 200 KB
footprint becomes 50 KB).>>

Fabien.