POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Atomiser : Re: Atomiser Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:13:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Atomiser
From: Alain
Date: 6 Mar 2011 15:47:55
Message: <4d73f2fb$1@news.povray.org>

> This model was exported from ac3d trial version ... as per one of the
> sslt caveats, the portions that I used sslt on (plastic hoses) I changed
> those unions to merge to bundle all the smooth triangles together

When you have an union of triangles, you only need to change "union" to
"mesh" and you get a nice mesh. It should be faster than the union
version, and especialy your merge.
If the triangles are correctly built, there should be no intrusion and
thus, no need for a merge.
Some modelers, and ac3d seems to be one of them, export their working
meshes as unions while they should export as mesh.

The difference between an union and a merge is that the merge suppress
the internal surfaces. It's also slower in many cases as the individual
parts are no longer individualy bounded. Each ray that encounter the
merge's bounding box need to be tested against all the components.

The goal of the union is to bundle many components into a single, easy
to manipulate, unit.

Nice modeling.

Alain