POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Swan Lake : Re: Swan Lake Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swan Lake
From: Ive
Date: 3 Mar 2011 12:40:00
Message: <4d6fd270$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.03.2011 17:19, schrieb Trevor G Quayle:
> Ive<ive### [at] lilysoftorg>  wrote:
>> I had the idea for this little scene before I did watch "Black Swan" - I
>> swear - but actually I made the scene while viewing the Oscar night. So
>> well, kind of tribute to Academy Award winner Natalie Portman ;)
>>
>> -Ive
>
> As others have noted, fantastic.
>
> There appears to be some light bloom at the bright highlights.  Was this
> post-processed in, or an added (beneficial) effect from the focal blur?

in this case it just happened as a nice side effect from the focal blur,
but in the past I did also use media containers for the whole scene (no
need to mention that this sky-rockets the render time) and also simple
post work by using filter functions of an image processing library I
once did develop as my day-pay-job.

> There is one subtle touch you may look at adding (or maybe you have and I can't
> notice..).
;)

> It appears as if the mirror is a mirrored surface, whereas mirrors
> of this type are usually glass mirrors.  Mayber try adding a thin glass layer
> between your mirroed surface and the swans, this can add two subtle effects
> depending on the viewing angle: the reflection can get attenuated a bit and even
> coloured slightly by the glass colour, and there will be a fainter, second
> reflection on the glass surface.

well, this is exactly what I did and it makes a huge difference compared
to some simple reflective surface. It is a piece of glass (with fresnel
reflection and all) and on its back side is a thin layer of silver.
You'll notice it if you look e.g. at the reflection of the upper wings
of the black swan.

thank you very much for your comments
-Ive