POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SSLT Dragon : Re: SSLT Dragon Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSLT Dragon
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 3 Mar 2011 08:45:35
Message: <4d6f9b7f$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/3/2011 5:09 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> Agreed!
>>

> I've not used focal blur much. What settings would be a good starting
> point?

My personal recipe:

Confidence .9
Variance 1/64
Samples to taste, for quicker renders, 10 does the job. For final
renders I'll go as high as 1000.

Why 1/64 on variance? Well, pixel-to-pixel it's very hard to see the
difference between a value that's 4 levels different than the next
(Though 3.7's gamma may change that in shadow or highlight areas) If you
must, go for the default variance. It slows a little bit, but not much.
As for confidence? Dunno. .9 is just sort of an arbitrary value.

Either than or start with the defaults, They're good enough (except
samples) occasionally I'll push confidence to 3 nines or even 4 nines,
if I think I'm going to get anything out of it.