POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Flame : Re: Flame Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flame
From: clipka
Date: 25 Feb 2011 22:34:07
Message: <4d6874af@news.povray.org>
Am 26.02.2011 03:24, schrieb Bruno Cabasson:
> An attempt for a flame, using a blob container. Some dots appear on the surface:
> known bug?

That would depend on what you actually did there :-)

> Also: In the doc at "3.4.7.5 Area Lights" it is explained that, with 'circular',
> area_lights can be elliptical if x and y axis are not equal. It seems that if I
> make so, the thickness of the soft shadows are of the same thickness in all
> directions. In this test scene I tried y=5*x, but the soft shadow of the sphere
> on the left is even all around. Is this the effect of 'orient'? What did I miss?

I think the docs don't mention it, but in case "orient" is used, the
area light's Y axis is effectively ignored.

The reason is probably because when you use "orient", it is no longer
clearly defined in which directions the area light's axes point - only
that the axes are re-oriented to be perpendicular to the direction of
the light; so the result might get messy. And even if "orient" would be
specified to try keep the Y axis "as vertically as possible" (like
point_at does with the camera), it still wouldn't give you what you'd
want for shadows above or below the light source.