POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Die, cast : Re: Die, cast Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:14:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Die, cast
From: clipka
Date: 22 Feb 2011 19:41:08
Message: <4d6457a4@news.povray.org>
Am 22.02.2011 19:56, schrieb Dave Blandston:
> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>> Ivory? Not sure (I've never seen real ivory in my life I guess), but I
>> think it makes a good texture for a die either way.
>
> That looks pretty close. I compared your image to some real ivory (fairly old,
> brought back from Africa in the 1950's by some missionaries) and the actual
> ivory is slightly less brown. Comparing the sub-surface light feature I'd say
> it's also very close but possibly just a little exaggerated. I'm sure there are
> natural variations though.

How about this one?

> That is the best-looking die I've seen. It would make
> a great demo scene.

Well, depends; a demo /image/, yes - but for a demo /scene/, it's not
really as simple as it looks.

The die is actually an isosurface I had modelled earlier for a different
scene; DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME WITH SSLT! Kudos to Kevin Loney, Jaap
Frank & Tor Olav Kristensen for their isosurface approximator include
file, which cut down the rendering time by a guesstimated 98-99% (!) to
"only" 3.5 hours.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ssltdie_.png' (147 KB)