POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Space Colony Wide Angle : Re: Space Colony Wide Angle Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Space Colony Wide Angle
From: Alain
Date: 17 Feb 2011 23:05:32
Message: <4d5df00c@news.povray.org>

> nemesis<nam### [at] gmailcom>  wrote:
>> how many months rendering? ;)
>>
>> Those clouds look way too good.  are they media-based?
>
> They use "df3" media in spheres.  Actually one "df3" file rotated randomly.
> There are 90 clouds here, all copies of the same cloud.  Air is a Rayleigh
> scattering media, with some emission to fake multiple scattering so it would not
> be totally dark in the shaded areas.  Media used only 5 intervals, ( 1 to 4
> samples (was it 2 to 8?)...more intervals would make a longer render (!!!!)
>
> Picture rendered at 1680 x 1050, antialiasing 0.1, radiosity on...only 5 or 10
> samples...took about 4 to 6 hours to render on an eight core I7 with 64 bit
> Windows 7 and 9 gigs of RAM.

What sampling method do you use? The default is method 3.

When using method 3:
intervals defaults to 1
samples defaults to 10 (must be at least 3)
Using intervals GREATLY increase the rendering time.
The second samples value is ALWAYS ignored: samples 1,4 becomes samples 1
intervals 10 samples 10 is MUCH slower than samples 100 (with default
intervals 1).

Expect you render tome to drop under 3 hours if you set only intervals 1
and increase samples around 50. It's even possible that you could use
something like samples 150 to 200 and still get faster rendering.

Alain