POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lamp with SSLT Figure : Re: Lamp with SSLT Figure Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:27:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lamp with SSLT Figure
From: Alain
Date: 16 Feb 2011 21:09:55
Message: <4d5c8373@news.povray.org>

> On 15/02/2011 10:32 PM, Robert McGregor wrote:
>> How does it look with the lamp switched on?
>
> In this image I gave the lampshade a filter of 0.15 and used colour rgb
> <1.0,1.0,1.0>*50.
>

> Using projected_through I got unexpected results not worth wasting disc
> space on.
>
> http://img140.imageshack.us/i/roomv4lamp01a01d2a0005.jpg/

Nice one.

It absolutely begs for area_light with area_illumination. You have 2
choices: one area_light with circular orient the same dimention as that
of the globe, or two area_lights, one small in the center, or slightly
off center, representing the light bulb, and a second one as broad as
the globe.

For the globe, you can try using back side illumination. Just add a
second component after the diffuse component.

A trick that I did'nt try but may be interesting: Use inside_texture.
Have the normal texture be totaly transparent and the interior texture
with the texture you use now, keeping only the diffuse and ambient
components of the finish. Any specular or phong highlight is to be
applyed to the exterior texture, as well as reflections, if any.

In your test using projected_through, it looks like the light_source is
not at the center of the globe but some distance under it.
It's possible that the code for projected_through is not designed for an
object that surrounds the light and breaks down in that situation.

Alain