POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 1957 Bel Air - revisited : Re: 1957 Bel Air - revisited Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:16:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1957 Bel Air - revisited
From: clipka
Date: 14 Feb 2011 13:08:02
Message: <4d596f82$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.02.2011 14:57, schrieb Trevor G Quayle:

> Focal blur is meant to be more photographic than human eye.
>
> Thanks for the info on what the aperture number means, never really knew before.
>   I'll see if I can figure out a way to translate it to camera aperture.

With the aperture wide open, it would be the lens diameter. But you
wouldn't normally use that in good daylight - at least not with
conventional photographic cameras. I don't know about digicams.

With other aperture settings, just take any camera, look at its lens -
you should see the aperture in there - and use the /apparent/ diameter
of the aperture.

I guess in professional photograpy the aperture will typically be set to
something that comes close to the human eye, too, whenever there is
something visible in the foreground - if only to prevent the shot from
looking oddly miniature-ish. Where large aperture settings are used for
effect, you'll typically see either no foreground elements at all, or
they're blurred as hell.

BTW, shots with a gradual transition from foreground to motif - e.g. the
pavement in your shot - are worst of all I guess.