POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : We need a gamma 1.0 color-picker app (?) : Re: We need a gamma 1.0 color-picker app (?) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:29:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: We need a gamma 1.0 color-picker app (?)
From: clipka
Date: 19 Jan 2011 02:59:29
Message: <4d3699e1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.01.2011 07:33, schrieb Kenneth:
> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>> Am 17.01.2011 21:53, schrieb Kenneth:
>>
>>> This code insertion is based on the assumed_gamma scene setting; if 1.0, then
>>> the contents of the 1.0 boxes are inserted into the scene; if 2.2, then the 2.2
>>> box contents are used.
>>
>> That won't work. Due to how the POV-Ray SDL works, it would require
>> parsing of the whole scene just to figure out the effective
>> assumed_gamma setting.
>
> You're right. :-[  It didn't occur to me that the color-picker would somehow
> have to 'magically guess' what was written in the SDL scene; the code is just a
> text file, after all. (Hmm...maybe the app could do a quick text search, looking
> for 'assumed_gamma'?? Kidding. Or maybe not...)

I guess it will be much easier, much more reliable and sufficiently
convenient to have an assumed_gamma input box in the color picker
(remembering its setting) where the user will have to input the
corresponding value. Presuming of course that they're using "rgb<...>"
instead of "srgb<...>" format, as the latter is independent of
assumed_gamma setting.