POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Request *.dem and *.hgt format : Re: Request *.dem and *.hgt format Server Time
29 Apr 2024 07:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request *.dem and *.hgt format
From: clipka
Date: 18 Jan 2011 13:57:37
Message: <4d35e2a1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.01.2011 14:52, schrieb Nekar Xenos:

>>> This, about USGS DEM:
>>>
>>> http://rockyweb.cr.usgs.gov/nmpstds/acrodocs/dem/
>>
>> As far as I understand, the format stores data in a non-rectangular
>> format, which will make it pretty difficult for use in height fields.
>
> So I guess we need to ad a request for spherical heightfields as well :)

Given the various possible ways of mapping sample points to lat/long
coordinates, the least common denominator would probably be a triangle
mesh, so what you'd actually ask for seems to boil down to another
syntax for describing mesh/mesh2 objects. Somethng like

mesh_file {
   FILE_TYPE FILE_NAME
   [...]
}

(The same syntax could also be used for .obj files.)