POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass Cubes : Re: Glass Cubes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass Cubes
From: Alain
Date: 17 Jan 2011 14:25:06
Message: <4d349792@news.povray.org>

> I increased the count from 20000 to 1000000, and reduced the spacing from 1 to
> 0.001, and from a few, big orange spots I ended up with many small spots... ;-)

There is a real improvement.

You should never use both count and spacing.

Also, your changes are not concistent:
Count from 20000 to 1000000 is 50 times more.
Spacing from 1 to 0.001 is 1000000 (1 million) times more!

If you use count, POV-Ray adjust the spacing to get about that number of
photons after adjusting for the various light_source and target objects.
OK if you have only one light_source and few objects.

If you use spacing, POV-Ray will shoot photons using that value untill
it have covered all target objects from every participating
light_source, using as many photons as needed.

In the statistics, what is the reported number of photons?

You seem to have 3 lights, 2 whites and one orange and 27 potentialy
target objects.

You may need to increase the gatthering radius.
If using count, you may need up to 10 times as many photons.
If using spacing, and your small cubes are about 1 unit whide, a value
between 0.01 and 0.005 should be enough in most cases.

You also probably need a max_trace_level of at least 7, probably around
15 or so.

Alain