POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Greek sword : Re: Greek sword Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Greek sword
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Jan 2011 03:01:58
Message: <4d2abcf6$1@news.povray.org>
"Dave Blandston" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.4d29dbd68d4ff9371df6284f0@news.povray.org...
> The company claims to sell authentic pieces (some items are priced in the
> tens
> of thousands of dollars). The items I bought appeared so authentic that
> the
> effort to construct such high quality fakes would have made them even more
> expensive than originals. I believe they are actual artifacts. I've seen
> numerous museum pieces to compare them to as well. At one time when I was
> attending college the Ramses exhibit was on display in a building within
> walking
> distance from my dormitory and I saw it several times.

Hmm... Well-made forgeries are (almost) undistinguishable from the real
stuff, and many even end up in museums as genuine ones. There is a whole
industry that has developed around their production. If, as the company
claims, the pieces (or some of them) are authentic, the question is how they
got hold of them. Most countries (e.g. Greece, Italy, Egypt) have very
severe laws agains the export and reselling of archeologica. Enforcement of
the law is another matter, but I would not recommend to try it. So, black
market comes to mind... It would be much better if the company claimed to
sell high quality copies imo.

What I mean is: don't believe at first sight. Especially in the higer prize
range. ;-)

Thomas