POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Greek sword : Re: Greek sword Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:30:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Greek sword
From: Alain
Date: 7 Jan 2011 17:13:31
Message: <4d27900b@news.povray.org>

> "Thomas de Groot"<tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet>  schreef in bericht
>> It is supposed to be an iron sword.
>
> What am I thinking about!?!?  I mean *bronze* of course....
>
> Thomas

At the time, bronze swords where often beter that iron ones: iron swords
tended to bend and fold under use. It can be a real problem during a battle.

The Romans used that willfully with ther pilums: They had a stout,
heavy, wooden shaft fitted with a long soft iron head. They trusted then
into the shields of ther oponent and droped it, switching to ther
swords. The iron shaft will then bend and weight down the shield
rendering it's use very difficult, or even impossible. The legionair
could now simply attack over the now lowered shield with devastating
results.

Alain