POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Greek sword : Re: Greek sword Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Greek sword
From: Alain
Date: 7 Jan 2011 00:36:22
Message: <4d26a656$1@news.povray.org>

> "Thomas de Groot"<tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet>  wrote:
>> After some time at the forge (Silo2 and Poseray 3.13.7beta), I produced a
>> fairly accurate Greek sword (ca 500 BC) in POV-Ray 3.7 RC1.
>>

>> Thomas
>
> I've always made the hand grip should be as wide as the blade, at least at the
> top.  The way it is, it looks like it would snap in a serious fight.
>
> Two of my own swords as example..
> http://webpages.sdsmt.edu/~1305761/images/Swords.png
>
> Regards,
>
> A.D.B.

The Greek sword was mostly a thrusting sword, the impacts are monsly
longitudinals against relatively soft targets. That kind of impacts are
easy to resist.
Also, during that era, metallic armors where almost non-existant:
Leather was the primary material used, with the odd metal reinforcement.
They also used cloth and rope armors.

Your sample medieval swords are slashing swords used against metal
armors. Those are subjected to violent lateral impacts requiring a very
strong handle-blade connection.

Alain