POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Colour Interpolation in various colour spaces : Re: Colour Interpolation in various colour spaces Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colour Interpolation in various colour spaces
From: scott
Date: 6 Jan 2011 06:50:41
Message: <4d25ac91$1@news.povray.org>
> To illustrate an actual discussion in p.beta-test
> (Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps)
>
> Done with custom code in traditional mesh with texture_list. (5 mesh, 1
> triangle each)
>
> #default { texture { pigment { rgb 0 }finish { ambient 1.0} } }
>
> #declare colo1=texture { pigment {color rgb<0.35,1,0>}};
> #declare colo2=texture { pigment {color rgb<1,0.,1>}};
> #declare colo3=texture { pigment {color rgb<0.,1.,1>}};

What is xyl and xyv in this case?

Here are my own tests (only in 2D), comparing raw sRGB pixel value
interpolation (3.6 method), linear RGB interpolation (3.7 method) and in
a colour space designed to be perceptually linear (CIELAB).

You can easily see the problem with greyscale gradients in linear RGB
space, but with colours I think the linear RGB space gradient looks
better than sRGB (the 3.6 method).