POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV Logo Wallpaper : Re: POV Logo Wallpaper Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Logo Wallpaper
From: clipka
Date: 31 Dec 2010 04:31:05
Message: <4d1da2d9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.12.2010 07:48, schrieb Dave Blandston:

>>> Whoa!!! Gamma problems again - sorry. If anyone's interested I'll fix it and
>>> re-post the picture.
>>
>> To me it looked good as posted.
>
> Internet Explorer shows it washed-out. Only the small preview looks right on my
> computer. I'll check my settings...

 From what I can see in the PNG header, you're using pretty
unconventional gamma settings. For starters, File_Gamma=1.0 is generally
not a good idea as it leads to the Windows Explorer thumbnail preview
appearing differently. And as a matter of fact it's usually the
thumbnail preview that lies to you, unless you have an exceptionally
uncommon display gamma.

My guess is that you're using File_Gamma=1.0 and Display_Gamma=1.0,
while actually having a display with a gamma of around 2.2.

The Display_Gamma=1.0 will make the image look the same in 3.7 beta
preview render as if you had used assumed_gamma 2.2 in 3.6 with
Display_Gamma=2.2, while the File_Gamma=1.0 will not have any visible
effect on PNG files (except for viewers that ignore gAMA chunks, such as
Windows Explorer's thumbnail generator) - it will just make the output
more susceptible to banding artifacts.

While it /may/ be that you adjusted your display for a gamma of 1.0, it
is both uncommon (typical values are around 2.2, give or take) /and/
will make virtually all of your software display nonsense unless you
also informed Windows of the fact (or each piece of software separately,
but only few pieces of SW provide a means to tell them about your
display gamma).

Whatever you're doing there regarding gamma, you're probably doing
/something/ fundamentally flawed.

And it's likely that you have a different taste than me: I do prefer the
washed-out version, especially for a wallpaper.