POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A bauble : Re: A bauble Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A bauble
From: Dre
Date: 21 Dec 2010 21:18:15
Message: <4d115fe7$1@news.povray.org>
[GDS|Entropy] wrote:
> Glows correctly positioned, but not using the corrected texture. The
> deep blue one took 3 days, the other (with corrected texture) took 15
> min (with radiosity?!?)...go figure... O__o'
>
> So much to learn...
>
> Ian
>
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:08:59 -0500, [GDS|Entropy]
> <gdsHYentropyAThotmailDTcom> wrote:
>
>> Ok, glows off, adapted texture in use (seems dark, like impure
>> glass?), and many more spheres. This takes an awful amount of time
>> with glows on.
>>
>> Ultimately, I need to make this texture consistent with generic ice.
>>
>> Ian

>>> Try diffuse 0, or some smallish value.

>>> Extremely low value! Your surface reaction to illumination is almost
>>> independent from the direction of the incident light. Such a value
>>> is rather unexpected for a shiny, reflective surface.
>>> I'm partial of using larger value, at least 1, probably more.

>>> For your material, I'd use some variable reflection with fresnel and
>>> conserve_energy, but, here it's mostly a test.
>>> Suggestion: reflection{0.05, 0.25 fresnel} conserve_energy

>>> This should be fade_power 1 OR fade_power 1001.
>>> fade_power 3 is totaly unrealistic in the real world. It may be
>>> used to simulate a light_source glowing through some medium that
>>> restricts it's propagation, like in some underwater scene.
>>> The realistic values are:
>>> interior: fade_power 1 OR fade_power 1001
>>> light_source: fade_power 2

>>> remove this if you use photons.

>>> You don't define fade_color, so it defaults to black.
>>>
>>> Finaly, it looks like your sphere is reflecting your glow colour.
>>>

>>> Alain
>>

> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

I know what you mean about so much to learn!  Its never ending!  Just when
you have worked one thing out, something else gets in your way and its back
to the books!  All good fun though.

Its probably not what you want to hear, but I actually like the first pic
better, the one that took 3 days, the blue looks much nicer to me...

Cheers Dre