POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kaleidoscopic IFS 2 : Re: Kaleidoscopic IFS 2 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kaleidoscopic IFS 2
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 19 Dec 2010 16:37:32
Message: <4d0e7b1c$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/18/2010 8:00 PM, stbenge wrote:
>> Frankly, I am no where near good enough to even guess how to do that. lol
>
> Sometimes exploration will let you stumble across a structure you had
> intended. Other times, you need a system suited for what you are doing.
> For instance, cellular automata can be "grown" from a substrate, and
> bounds can be made for it, but the end result is still something
> unintended. Fairly recently someone invented a snowflake generator which
> produces what appears to be physically-accurate results. Really cool,
> but it takes days to grow the things :(
>
> Sam

Well, I meant in the specific sense of being able to "find" a way to
constrain it. Someone needs to come up with something like, I don't
know, a biologic constraint type thing, which can kind of "switch off"
growth, in a way that would still produce the fractal result, but not
necessarily something like looking for a specific shape in Mandelbrot,
but getting not just *that* shape, but the whole rest of the things you
didn't want too, or something.. Like I said, I know what you would need
to make it more predictable in terms of size, or even shape (like you
might get in some cases where the form is part of an object, but only
applies to say, a leg, or something), but actually having a clue how you
manage that is way beyond me.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {