POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kaleidoscopic IFS 2 : Re: Kaleidoscopic IFS 2 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kaleidoscopic IFS 2
From: stbenge
Date: 18 Dec 2010 21:26:37
Message: <4d0d6d5d@news.povray.org>
On 12/17/2010 3:18 PM, [GDS|Entropy] wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:36:22 -0500, stbenge <myu### [at] hotmailcom>
> wrote:
>> Thanks Ian!
>
> No problem. ;)
> You really produce some very cool stuff, and at quite an impressive rate.

Well, maybe it's not so impressive considering how much free time I have :/

>> I don't know how anyone can find a solution for a poorly defined
>> problem, let alone a simple and elegant one. Defining a problem is
>> half the battle. Every time I've been faced with a difficult
>> challenge, progress was only made when I could see exactly what needed
>> to be done. Even then I've come up with some very inelegant solutions ;)
>
> It is a challenge, that is for sure...but then thats half the fun. ;)
> So many of my contracts have been the programming equivalent of
> replacing the entire support structure of the empire state building
> without moving a single paper-clip from the desks of its employees or
> impacting running business processes.. :(

Wow, you must have a lot of tolerance! I don't know how you do it :S I
imagine a big part of that is knowing how to mesh with people in a
productive fashion.

>> What are you working on? If you need any insight, I can try to help,
>> but I'm only self-taught...
>
> I am self taught as well. I started with FractINT at 14, found Mand2POV
> (which got me into pov-ray), Pov-Ray then accustomed me to C based
> languages (add in some TRON influence from early childhood here [gfx and
> programming]), and then surfing for pov stuff got me interested in HTML
> and JavaScript, which led to C#/VB.NET/ASP/ASP.NET when I needed more
> power. The same year I earned my first paid programming gig. Now I
> program for a living, and the rest is history. Thanks Pov Team!

You've definitely progressed faster than I have...

> I am getting OT here now, I know, but how did you start?

My recounting was taking too long, so here is the summarized
progression: <1984 - today>: Art; <1995 - 2000>: QBasic; <1999 - today>:
POV-Ray; <2001 - 2003>: Euphoria (an interpretive language); <2005 -
today>: C/C++; <2008 - today>: GLSL. Today: POV-Ray, C/C++; GLSL,
Processing, HTML/CSS (rudimentary, but functional). Pretty much anything
I can use to make graphics :)

Recently I've been more interested in complex behavior arising from
basic conditions. Fractals, cellular automata, cognitive processes,
these are all very interesting to me (and very important).

> If you don't mind, I'll send you an e-mail with some things which may
> interest you. Let me know if you wish that I do so.

Sure, go ahead, but keep in mind my interests (and abilities) only lie
in the graphics realm.

> Otherwise I have a few macros for POV which have been pretty fun so far,
> and are almost done.

Good work on the icicles/snow setup, not to mention presenting it during
the perfect time of year for it ;) I'm always thinking of weird
things... what if some stuff (not just air bubbles) got caught up in the
icicles? That's all I'm going to say about that :)

> Or, if you have some things you might want some help on, I'd be happy to
> be a part of it.

Well, there is the problem of getting the Menger Sponge to work with
KIFS... That's pretty much the only problem I have right now, other than
trying to come up with the next best Metroidvania...

Sam