POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kaleidoscopic IFS 2 : Re: Kaleidoscopic IFS 2 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kaleidoscopic IFS 2
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 17 Dec 2010 22:30:56
Message: <4d0c2af0$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/17/2010 4:18 PM, [GDS|Entropy] wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:36:22 -0500, stbenge <myu### [at] hotmailcom>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/15/2010 3:09 PM, [GDS|Entropy] wrote:
>>> Wow man...
>>> You continue to impress!
>>>
>>> Fractals are another hobby of mine, so I can appreciate the difficulty
>>> in finding and implementing truly new types. Amazing job.
>>
>> Thanks Ian!
>
> No problem. ;)
> You really produce some very cool stuff, and at quite an impressive rate.
>
>>> I could use more programmers like you on my team! (So many lack vision,
>>> purpose, pride in their work, and the ability to create simple elegant
>>> solutions for poorly defined complex problems)
>>
>> I don't know how anyone can find a solution for a poorly defined
>> problem, let alone a simple and elegant one. Defining a problem is
>> half the battle. Every time I've been faced with a difficult
>> challenge, progress was only made when I could see exactly what needed
>> to be done. Even then I've come up with some very inelegant solutions ;)
>
> It is a challenge, that is for sure...but then thats half the fun. ;)
> So many of my contracts have been the programming equivalent of
> replacing the entire support structure of the empire state building
> without moving a single paper-clip from the desks of its employees or
> impacting running business processes.. :(
>
>> What are you working on? If you need any insight, I can try to help,
>> but I'm only self-taught...
>
> I am self taught as well. I started with FractINT at 14, found Mand2POV
> (which got me into pov-ray), Pov-Ray then accustomed me to C based
> languages (add in some TRON influence from early childhood here [gfx and
> programming]), and then surfing for pov stuff got me interested in HTML
> and JavaScript, which led to C#/VB.NET/ASP/ASP.NET when I needed more
> power. The same year I earned my first paid programming gig. Now I
> program for a living, and the rest is history. Thanks Pov Team!
>
> I am getting OT here now, I know, but how did you start?
>
> If you don't mind, I'll send you an e-mail with some things which may
> interest you. Let me know if you wish that I do so.
>
> Otherwise I have a few macros for POV which have been pretty fun so far,
> and are almost done.
>
> Or, if you have some things you might want some help on, I'd be happy to
> be a part of it.
>
>> Sam
>
> Ian

Main thing I find *slightly* annoying about these things though..
Basically, most things have some sort of clear constraint when an
object. Fractals *tend* not to necessarily have them, which makes it a
bit hard to say, limit the object to a given size, piece, fragment,
etc., or change it so that it grows "on" something, like one of the
corral like ones grown on the surface of a sphere, for example. It gets
really bad if it is something like Mandelbrot, where you could find damn
near any structure you might want in it *someplace*, but then its not
terribly clear how/if you bend that to fit what you actually need it
for, instead of having to use what would have normally been generated
anyway. I actually looked at this and thought, "Wow! Some color changes,
quirks, like refraction, or other things, applied to one of those, would
work a lot better for a project I have been thinking of." Only, about
two seconds later I then thought, "Ok, but how do you make any of that
stuff "grow" into similar sized, space constrained, forms, which
actually *can* be used for what I have planned?"

Frankly, I am no where near good enough to even guess how to do that. lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();