POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stephanie Up Close (2MB) : Re: Stephanie Up Close (2MB) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stephanie Up Close (2MB)
From: Ive
Date: 17 Dec 2010 07:35:59
Message: <4d0b592f$1@news.povray.org>
On 16.12.2010 11:16, clipka wrote:
> As for specular, I intended to "sync" that with reflection intensity,
> because physically they're the very same phenomenon. It's not trivial
> though, as the proper relation between the "specular" parameter and the
> "reflection" intensity depends on the roughness of the material. Also,
> as I've learned recently, the specular highlights should follow the
> fresnel formula, which they don't.

In fact from my experience the missing fresnel falloff for specular
highlights within POV-Ray is the most important issue that currently
prevents any generic solution for rendering realistic skins.
I've faked it by either using aoi (a pain to setup and no generic
solution) or blurred reflection (incredible long render times and
therefor of no *practical* use).
For short: it is currently not possible to do something as simple as a
classical Hollywood-Three-Point-Lighting portrait shot within POV-Ray
and getting any satisfying result :(

-Ive