POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : texture_map problem : Re: texture_map problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: texture_map problem
From: Dre
Date: 16 Dec 2010 17:21:36
Message: <4d0a90f0@news.povray.org>

news:4d0a3421@news.povray.org...
> High!
>
> On 15.12.2010 22:53, Dre wrote:
>
>> Hey, I live in southern Tasmania!!
>
> In Hobart?

Yep!  Well Kingston actually, 10 minutes away.  I work in Hobart city :)

>> I dont suppose you could tell me where you got the data for the
>> heightfield?
>
> Look here: http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/Australia/
>
> These are data tiles from a Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) in
> February 2000, covering the entire land surface of the Earth between

> of 3 arcseconds per data point. The name of each file indicates the
> geographical coordinates of the *southwestern*, i. e. left lower corner
> of the tile. So, you just look up the coordinate range of Tasmania in
> your preferred atlas and find the respective tiles.
>
> These tiles are NOT image files, but you can make them visible (and even
> generate nice 3-D views, which export also to VRML) with a Windows
> freeware called "3DEM". You find 3DEM here:
> http://freegeographytools.com/3dem_setup.exe
> With 3DEM, you can iron out error pixels (mostly resulting from cloud
> cover) with the "Patch missing data" feature - but this works only for
> error pixels which have no connection to the tile's edges!
>
> To use them with PoV-Ray, you'll have to export the read-in data tile as
> "ASCII terrain matrix". I wrote a POV script which generates a 16-bit
> PNG heightfield from these ASCII files - attached here (ascii2png.pov)!
>
> The ASCII files have the height data as number strings at two-digit
> accuracy (xxxx.xx), each separated by a blank. PoV-Ray needs the blanks
> to be replaced by commas to read the data in properly. If you have
> access to Linux with its powerful UNIX console command line tools,
> you're fine - just type in:
>
> sed 's/ /,/g' original_file destination_file
>
> and within two seconds, almost 1,5 million blanks are replaced by commas!
>
> Unfortunately, I currently do not know of any Windows tool capable of
> doing that job at a comparable speed - common GUI text editors, not to
> mention full-fledged word processors toil for hours! But even if you
> have no Linux on your computer, you can download a "Live CD" image of a
> Debian distribution and burn it - afterwards you'll be able to boot a
> proper Linux installation from the disk! If you face problems to write
> data on your harddisk (because of missing rights), just try a USB stick
> instead, it probably will work!
>
> Note that the size of the data tiles is in fact 1201 by 1201 rather than
> 1200 x 1200, so adjacent rows and columns would repeat - if you want to
> join two or more of your generated PNG heightfields, you'll first have
> to remove the easternmost column and southernmost row.
>
> And joining heightfields would be the only way to get rid of the error
> pixels which, with the original tiles, lie at the edges. I also wrote a
> POV script (png2ascii.pov) to re-export joined heightfields to an ASCII
> terrain matrix readable by 3DEM - the software will ask you about the
> size and corner coordinates and then you can smooth out the remaining
> error pixels.
>
> After exporting them back to ASCII (and, of course, once more replacing
> [...]

Thanks very much for the very thorough write up.  I'm going to take a look
at that data over the weekend and see what I can come up with.

Tasmania is an awesome place, wonderful place to live.  Unfortunately a
disease is threatening the Tassie Devils existance (no Tigers btw) so you
better hurry if you want to see them :)

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated!

Cheers Dre