POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stephanie Up Close (2MB) : Re: Stephanie Up Close (2MB) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stephanie Up Close (2MB)
From: FlyerX
Date: 16 Dec 2010 04:32:13
Message: <4d09dc9d@news.povray.org>
On 12/14/2010 7:53 PM, clipka wrote:
> Working on a library of textures for Poser figures.
>
> Here's DAZ's Stephanie 4 up close.
>
> Most textures are more or less tweaked versions of what PoseRay
> generates, except I'm using a homebrewn macro framework; eyes needed
> more work; teeth use subsurface scattering.

Some tips that worked for me:
-no specular for any eye part. 10% reflection on eyesurface with a nice
room HDRI background.
-remove specular and bump from hair for faster renders. Also no specular
on the hair or it will look like a silk cover over the head.
-Lip: No specular and 5% reflection. Works best with a nice specular and
bump map.
-Skin: specular of about 0.078 and roughness about 0.025. No phong.
-Bilinear interpolation works best for most maps. Bicubic just does not
work well for transparencies.
-No ambient for the skin or eyes.

I have been trying to modify PoseRay to get a more consistent result
from Poser using the diffuse, specular and bump maps plus some some
pigment macros. Unfortunately Poser materials using the node system are
typically so badly implemented that many skin textures are just a mangle
of useless nodes. Sometimes Poser nodes are used as a hack to get better
rendering in a particular lighting making them useless for any other
scene. To the node problem you can also add bad maps with specular,
reflection and shadow effects baked in. I also think that lack of
direction from Smith Micro on how to properly define a basic skin
material using nodes is what creates this mess.

This makes it very difficult to translate a Poser material to POV-Ray
SDL. I am sure that each of the Poser nodes can be easily duplicated in
POV-Ray but many times I find that just using the basic components
(diffuse, specular, bump & transp) plus POV-Ray enhancements yield
better results.

The image I attached is Stephanie 4 with the Natasha elite maps. POV-Ray
3.7 windows beta 40 which works much better than 3.6 for image map
handling.

FlyerX

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'natasha_elite01b03_2010_12_16_02_10_30.jpg' (26 KB)

Preview of image 'natasha_elite01b03_2010_12_16_02_10_30.jpg'
natasha_elite01b03_2010_12_16_02_10_30.jpg