POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chain Icosahedron : Re: Chain Icosahedron Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chain Icosahedron
From: clipka
Date: 15 Dec 2010 18:28:28
Message: <4d094f1c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.12.2010 00:09, schrieb CShake:
> On 2010-12-15 12:16, clipka wrote:
>> I did some test renders, including a scene trying to mimick the specific
>> properties of yours (just rings randomly arranged in a spherical shell,
>> I guess I suck at maille ;-)), but I can't reproduce the symptoms you
>> see. Are you absolutely positively sure that you only changed the camera?
>>
>> Did you also cross-check with 3.6, whether the effect can be seen there
>> as well?
>>
>> Do you think you could come up with a minimal scene showing the symptom?
>
> I've identified it as my "make it look like there is a camera in the
> reflection" part. I put an object with a surface 0.001 units directly
> behind the camera, and that is what does it. Minimal scene as follows,
> most of the positioning numbers are just lifted from the scene I was
> using so they're arbitrary. This works no matter the version keyword
> while rendering in beta40, and also happens in 3.6.1c.

You should tilt the object according to the camera's orientation.
Otherwise, some of the rays shot may originate from inside that object,
explaining why everything gets pretty dark.

The focal blur camera works essentially by randomly ofsetting the camera
location in the plane perpendicular to the nominal "viewing axis".