POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chain Icosahedron : Re: Chain Icosahedron Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chain Icosahedron
From: CShake
Date: 11 Dec 2010 20:52:23
Message: <4d042ad7$1@news.povray.org>
On 2010-12-11 18:22, clipka wrote:
> Am 11.12.2010 23:06, schrieb CShake:
>
>> render time: 4 hours 35 mins, AMD Phenom 9950 (quad 2.6)
>> I could have gotten even smoother focal blur, but I'm content with this
>> for now (count 50 variance 1/10000)
>
> Gee. You must be "geniously crazy" (pun intended) for either - the real
> stuff and the CGI one. I can't tell which of both I find more impressing.
>
> Are you using POV-Ray 3.6, or a 3.7 beta?

I'd hate to run that on only one core :)
I switched to the beta from MegaPov about a year ago - that render was
with beta39, but it's popping up that I should update. Well, it popped
up before I started the render, but a quick look at the changelog told
me it wasn't gonna change the outcome for that scene, so I'm
procrastinating.

On a topic related to the picture itself, why does adding focal blur
make the entire scene darker than without? I ran all my test renders
with the non-blur camera settings and had the colors I wanted, but with
the blur (no other differences) I had to bump up the brightness curves
in post to get the same look. Looking at the camera macro it didn't add
any sort of filter in front of it either.