POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kaleidoscopic IFS : Re: Kaleidoscopic IFS Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kaleidoscopic IFS
From: stbenge
Date: 9 Dec 2010 13:07:34
Message: <4d011ae6@news.povray.org>
On 12/9/2010 1:08 AM, Paolo Gibellini wrote:
> Thank you for the interesting images, Sam, I've always been fascinated
> by IFS: they are simple to write and may conduce to unexpected shapes
> (the good of iterative algorithms - years ago I made a little 2D IFS
> parser in POV-Ray).
> ;-)
> Paolo

Hi Paolo, I wrote an IFS parser too, hoping to figure out how K-IFS
fractals work. It didn't really help, but it was a fun diversion <g>
It's intolerably slow and not very efficient... The attached image took
31 seconds to parse, and has 193317 objects from 28 iterations. The
reference I modeled it from used fewer samples, yet possessed higher detail.

Kaleidoscopic iterated function systems, when computed with an escape
time algorithm, are much more efficient. They take less than a second to
parse and have a minimal memory footprint... and the result is just one
object :)

Now if I could just get the Menger Sponge working... I'm about to
concede defeat :(

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ifsa0_35.png' (18 KB)