POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dithered Output : Re: Dithered Output Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dithered Output
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 6 Dec 2010 15:10:25
Message: <4cfd4331$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Am 04.12.2010 19:43, schrieb "Jérôme M. Berger":
>>     You probably already know it, but for others who may not here are
>> couple of points to keep in mind:
>>   - Dithering may cause very visible moire artifacts when the images
>> are printed;
>
> Hm, I didn't think of that. Actually I'd expect it to improve print
> quality.
> I also guess it depends on the dithering algorithm; maybe that's where
> benefit of random dithering can be found? Printers should be quite
> immune to random noise in images to be printed I guess.

	The problem is that the printer will also use a dither algorithm
when printing and you can have unwanted interactions between the
two. However, since you implemented both Bayer dithering and error
diffusion it should be possible to avoid the issues by choosing the
other method than the printer. However, this is something to keep in
mind when rendering because you don't want to realize you made the
wrong choice after a one week high resolution render ;)

		Jerome
--
mailto:jeb### [at] freefr
http://jeberger.free.fr