POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dithered Output : Re: Dithered Output Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dithered Output
From: clipka
Date: 4 Dec 2010 13:54:10
Message: <4cfa8e52$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.12.2010 19:43, schrieb "Jérôme M. Berger":
> clipka wrote:
>> (b2) Bayes dithering using a 2x2 pattern
>>
>> (b4) Bayes dithering using a 4x4 pattern
>>
> 	I assume you meant "Bayer"?

Oops, yes - I've been struggling with that name the whole day ;-)

> 	You probably already know it, but for others who may not here are a
> couple of points to keep in mind:
>   - Dithering may cause very visible moire artifacts when the images
> are printed;

Hm, I didn't think of that. Actually I'd expect it to improve print quality.
I also guess it depends on the dithering algorithm; maybe that's where a
benefit of random dithering can be found? Printers should be quite
immune to random noise in images to be printed I guess.

>   - There is probably no point in using this if you intend to convert
> your images to JPEG since the conversion will cause fine details
> like the dither pattern to disappear anyway...

JPEG and OpenEXR output will not support dithering (nor will Radiance
HDR for the time being - though it could be of use there - as it is not
as straightforward as with classic low dynamic range images).