POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More Gamma Again : Re: More Gamma Again Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Gamma Again
From: Jaap Frank
Date: 3 Dec 2010 16:38:54
Message: <4cf9636e$1@news.povray.org>
"Ive"  schreef in bericht news:4cf951d7$1@news.povray.org...

On 03.12.2010 18:03, Jaap Frank wrote:
> My conclusion is that the problem lies somewhere else and is NOT a
> problem of the monitors. In another computer with a rather expensive
> BenQ monitor (LCD) the results are exactly the same (Win XP and another
> NVidia card).

You should in any case select sRGB as your working color space as this
is THE standard for the WWW and also JPEG and PNG image files are by
default encoded in sRGB color space and in case they include a different
ICC profile your Windows 7 CMS (err, Color Management System) will
convert them correctly to sRGB.

Then, VERY IMPORTANT, (sorry but I have to use a lot of capital letters
here!) do NOT use the Paint Shop Pro gamma adjustment as THIS IS THE
MOST CRAPPIEST THING I've ever seen (in this regard). Do NOT trust it
and do NOT use it. For nuthin'. NEVER!
OK, do not get me wrong PS Pro is a nice piece of software but it's so
called calibration isn't.

Then go here
http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm
you may want to read the explanation about gamma (that is quite good)
but please ignore the reasoning for the 1.8 gamma - this is just
outdated (the side is quite old) and I for one did never really agree
with it.

At the bottom of the page choose Gamma 2.2 (and nothing else!) and then
use the color correction panel for your NVidea graphics card and play
with the gamma setting until the *colors* are as close to the gray
background as possible.
This gamma chart is the best one for *visual* gamma adjustment that I am
aware off.

Now you are done ;)

hope this helps
-Ive

Thanks again for the swift reaction Ive. I'm going to work with this. I'll
let you know what the result is.

Jaap Frank