POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More Gamma Again : Re: More Gamma Again Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Gamma Again
From: Jaap Frank
Date: 3 Dec 2010 12:21:53
Message: <4cf92731$1@news.povray.org>
"clipka"  schreef in bericht news:4cf7665a$1@news.povray.org...

Am 02.12.2010 01:01, schrieb Jaap Frank:

> That's odd, because for me the 3.6 side is correct and the 3.7 side is
> far too bright.

Actually /that/ is odd.

Please read my reaction on the comment of Warp about the monitors.

> By the way, the challenge from clipka is for me a perfect gradient from
> 0,0 to 1,1 in the XY-plane. I suspect that this picture is made with
> 3.7, so that is odd again.

No, it's an image with a "visually linear" gradient created in Photoshop
while working with the sRGB color profile, which I then converted to a
custom color profile with a gamma of 1.0. The challenge is to open this
image in Photoshop and - without converting it to a different color
profile - draw a visually linear gradient over it. I don't know about
newer versions, but in Photoshop 6.0 this will have you end up with a
gradient similar to that created by POV-Ray 3.7.
How do you do that: ...draw a visually linear gradient over it. Is there a
choice for this in PSP somewhere?

> I'm reading the Gamma Stories for months now and all the same I'm
> confused.

Thank you for you thorough explanation. Now I'm sure about the different
gamma settings.

Jaap Frank