POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More Gamma Again : Re: More Gamma Again Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Gamma Again
From: Jaap Frank
Date: 3 Dec 2010 12:14:08
Message: <4cf92560$1@news.povray.org>
"Ive"  schreef in bericht news:4cf6fed2$1@news.povray.org...

On 02.12.2010 01:01, Jaap Frank wrote:

Trust me, Warp is correct and if you see it different there is something
screwed up with your display system. One cannot *perfectly* calibrate a
display without usage of some external hardware but for, let's say
hobbyist usage, there are quite a lot tools (and web-pages) around that
allow for visual adjustment but all of them boil down to something
similar Warp has shown.

Thanks for the fast reaction. Please read my reaction on the comment of
Warp too.

> I'm wondering if the default 3.7 approach is correcting the values for a
> 2.2 gamma display in the file, while the display system thinks it gets

A.1. but the actual value can be adjusted by the display_gamma setting
with the recommended default of 2.2 (unless you know what you are doing ;)
B.1. but the actual value can be adjusted by the file_gamma setting with
the recommended default of 2.2 (unless you know what you are doing ;-P)
and the exception of high dynamic range formats being always encoded
linear (as they should be by definition).

C.2. is true for POV-Ray 3.7 AND 3.6 and PNG input format except when no
gamma chunk was present when POV-Ray 3.6 did apply no correction at all
(see below).

C.1. is true for POV-Ray 3.7 and any other format than PNG
BUT POV-Ray 3.6 did use the gamma encoded values internally directly
without converting them to linear color space and this was plain wrong!

Then I did understand it right. Now I'm sure about it, thank you.

-Ive (and sorry for sending the mail - this happens to me all the time,
I really should learn how to use Thunderbird)

Don't bother about that personal email, it has happened to me too.

Jaap Frank