POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More Gamma Again : Re: More Gamma Again Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Gamma Again
From: Warp
Date: 3 Dec 2010 06:07:15
Message: <4cf8cf63@news.povray.org>
On 12/02/2010 11:26 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 02.12.2010 01:01, schrieb Jaap Frank:
>
>> That's odd, because for me the 3.6 side is correct and the 3.7 side is
>> far too bright.
>
> Actually /that/ is odd.

  However, regardless of what the reason might be for RGB mapping to
physically linear brightness on his monitor (while in most other cases
the mapping is exponential), this is still the beauty of gamma
correction (when applied properly): He can still set up his assumed and
display gammas in POV-Ray so that rgb 0.5 looks on his display as
physically 50% bright, design his scene that way, distribute the
resulting PNG, and the what-is-supposed-to-be-50%-gray will look like
that on someone else's display as well.

  Without any gamma information what looks on his monitor as perfectly
50% gray will look significantly darker on someone else's monitor. The
whole purpose for gamma information is to make the image look the same
in all systems.

  So while it might be odd (regardless of what the reason for it might
be), it shouldn't be a problem.