POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : wierd refraction with multiple layer glass : Re: wierd refraction with multiple layer glass Server Time
5 May 2024 09:44:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wierd refraction with multiple layer glass
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 12 Nov 2010 18:51:48
Message: <4cddd314$1@news.povray.org>
CAD-Andi wrote:

> Problem:
> When Creating two transparent boxes that are 100% adjacent to each other the
> refraction gets calculated wrong. I don't know exactly what is going on, the
> light gets somehow refracted permanently into a really wierd direction.

As Warp pointed out it is numerically tricky if two objects
are exactly aligned. For this use case it would be nice if there
was a more generic way of defining "insides" by specifying a
single surface of transition. In some cases you might be able
to do it by embedding one object into another.

> Solution:
> A small gap between the two sheets of glass solves the problem.

This is what the documentation recommends as well,
e.g. for rendering a glass of water. I suspect it may
produce artefacts especially when the surface is viewed
at shallow angles, but otherwise a very thin layer of
"air" shouldn't hurt too much.

You might find the following thread of interest:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C45cf36f7%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=1