POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet another rendering ;) : Re: Yet another rendering ;) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:33:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another rendering ;)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Aug 2010 03:05:44
Message: <4c6b8648@news.povray.org>
"H. Karsten" <h-karsten()web.de> schreef in bericht
> Without a good technique of animation, I had no other way of animate this
> thing
> using only forward-kinematic! The problem was the complexity of some
> joints,
> like the shoulders. And the bad work of scripts, constraints and
> expressions in
> Max. For this I really hate this application!

I learned backward kinematics using Moray years ago. If you can correctly
define the origin of the rotation points of each movable robotic element,
you could probably achieve that *fairly easily* in POV-Ray, or am I missing
something? It is *just* a matter of correctly nesting and translating, and
defining the rotation angles and constrains. It is a lot of tedious work, to
be sure, though.

> Some people said that there don't like to wait 11 hours or longer for a
> rendering. This picture has 1244 passes, the rendering took over 14 hours.
> Somehow I like to work on such projects: I trains me to do the right
> decisions
> at the right time. A thing that I'm really missing by a lots of people I
> worked
> with. They see my stuff, they like it, but they not recognizing that they,
> as
> the director, have to make the right decision /before/ the rendering (of
> an
> animation) is done. I spoke to a lot of people, still in directors school.
> Most
> of then do NOT learn how to make decisions, having a look onto animatics
> or some
> other kind of rough work.
>
> Everything has go be fast.

I usually end up with scenes taking 72 hours or more to render. It does not
matter to me. I usually build in a lot of switches in order to test more
rapidly though.

Great image by the way. I love your robot.

Thomas