POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Windows 7 Install for all users : Re: Windows 7 Install for all users Server Time
29 Apr 2024 07:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows 7 Install for all users
From: Chris Cason
Date: 28 Jul 2010 20:47:55
Message: <4c50cfbb@news.povray.org>
> I'd recommend against using virtualization. This is mainly for legacy
> software which is not Vista-aware. As Povray 3.7 is a state of the art
> software it should support a newer OS directly. Also note that 64-bit
> applications will never use virtualization so you may get into trouble
> when running 64-bit povray after installing that way.

Yes, good point.

> My suggestion would be to test for administrator privileges (something
> like if (Is(USER_INADMINGROUP,"") = TRUE)). If available, make Program

It's a little more complicated than this for me currently, as Windows
Installer lies about admin privilege by default (telling us that the user
has admin when they don't). There is a way around this, which I use, and
the installer (at least for the betas) will offer an 'all users' install if
the install is started under elevation. Unfortunately this doesn't work
just by running as administrator; elevation has to be explicitly requested.

> Both installer and povray itself should contain a manifest marking them
> as vista/7 aware. This is mainly done by adding <requestExecutionLevel>
> and <supportOS> elements to the manifest. I'm not an InstallShield user
> but I'd expect version 12 or higher to add a manifest automatically
> based on "Required Execution Level".

Thanks for the tip, this might be the thing I need to change the above
behavior. I don't have IS 12 (we got IS 11 two weeks before they released
v12; Acresso kindly offered to let me upgrade for 'only' $800) but I can
surely add these manually.

-- Chris