POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Windows 7 Install for all users : Re: Windows 7 Install for all users Server Time
29 Apr 2024 05:38:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows 7 Install for all users
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 28 Jul 2010 17:37:45
Message: <4c50a329$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:

> I have been considering changing the code to install into program files by
> default (even if it ends up in compatibility folders), as the location we
> are using seems to be confusing a bunch of people.

I'd recommend against using virtualization. This is mainly for legacy
software which is not Vista-aware. As Povray 3.7 is a state of the art
software it should support a newer OS directly. Also note that 64-bit
applications will never use virtualization so you may get into trouble
when running 64-bit povray after installing that way.

Both installer and povray itself should contain a manifest marking them
as vista/7 aware. This is mainly done by adding <requestExecutionLevel>
and <supportOS> elements to the manifest. I'm not an InstallShield user
but I'd expect version 12 or higher to add a manifest automatically
based on "Required Execution Level".

My suggestion would be to test for administrator privileges (something
like if (Is(USER_INADMINGROUP,"") = TRUE)). If available, make Program
Files default. If not, display a warning message box that a single-user
install to application data will be performed, and if that is undesired
to cancel and restart with "Run As Administrator".

The latter option might be simplified for the user by providing
an EXE instead of an MSI.