POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Windows 7 Install for all users : Re: Windows 7 Install for all users Server Time
29 Apr 2024 06:01:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows 7 Install for all users
From: Chris Cason
Date: 24 Jul 2010 04:45:39
Message: <4c4aa833$1@news.povray.org>
Unfortunately we can't please everyone; whenever I make a change to the
install locations (prompted by Microsoft's own changes) someone is unhappy.
I distinctly remember getting a fairly abusive message from a user back in
the mid-90's complaining that installing into 'program files' was a stupid
idea and we should have continued using c:\povray :-(

On 23/07/2010 23:11, Nick wrote:
> Why can't it go in Program Files like everything else?

Because Microsoft recommends not using program files except for system-wide
installations (see below about that). For non-admin installs, even if a
user *thinks* they are installing into program files, they are actually
not: the files get put into the compatibility folder under their user
profile.

> So a plea please for a working installer designed for on multi-user
> systems, eg for classroom use which is what I want to do.

I have been considering changing the code to install into program files by
default (even if it ends up in compatibility folders), as the location we
are using seems to be confusing a bunch of people.

The 'install for all users' option in the version 3.7 installer is
*supposed*, if the installer is elevated, to install in program files. If
it is not then the install has a bug. In respect of v3.6 which you are
using, I'd have to take a look; quite possibly I have the same logic but
perhaps I didn't back-port that.

FWIW The ultimate intent of the 'install for all users' option is to
install the core files into program files, and leave an advertised
component linked to the install. When a user runs the program for the first
time, the advertised component runs and installs the per-user files (scene
files, include files, etc - basically anything they can edit). This isn't
done yet, though.

In any event, I intend to re-write the installer as I don't like
installshield (they seem to have a habit of implying legitimate users of
their software have stolen it). I'm probably going to change to using WiX
(http://wix.codeplex.com/).

If you're interested in helping re-write this you're welcome to volunteer:)

NB please also check the docs about the 'inferred install location' feature
and associated command-line options. It is there specifically for networked
and/or classroom use of the software.

-- Chris