POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lego Helicopter 645 - Colouring Page : Re: Lego Helicopter 645 - Colouring Page Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:32:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lego Helicopter 645 - Colouring Page
From: Thibaut Jonckheere
Date: 24 Jun 2010 03:08:26
Message: <4c23046a@news.povray.org>

> Would it be possible to amend the macro so that it somehow visually
> labelled each edge that was drawn with a number? You could then
> optionally instruct the macro not to draw certain edges by passing it a
> list of edges numbers. As well as giving greater control over the
> render, it could also provide a way of creating "dot to dot" type
> colouring pictures (see example links below).
>
> http://www.lego.com/ToyStory/en-us/Downloads/Dot-to-Dot.aspx
>
> Let me know your thoughts on this.

Hi Reuben,

In short :

- drawing 'dots' in place of 'edges' (which means, for Povray, sphere
rather than cylinder) is a simple modification to the macro
EdgeMesh.inc, which I can implement if you want to play with that. Note
that the result you get will depend a lot of the definition of the mesh
(for a very fine mesh, with lots of vertices/faces/..., the spheres will
be so close that you won't see the difference with the cylinders; if the
mesh has fewer vertices, then it might show as a "dot to dot" picture)

- visually labelling the edges seems very difficult (at lest to get a
decent result), as the numbers involved could easily be large, and also
the placement of the numbers is by no means easy (3D objects for the
numbers, or post-process 2d numbers ?, ...) .

-modifying povedge to get, in one click, a "dot by dot" picture with the
numbers for the dots is also not possible because the edges are not
ordered along the contours (I mean that, if you follow the silhouette of
an object, the internal numbering of these edges by povedge can be
anything, and is not 1,2,3,4... ). So I think that it is possible to
produce a "dot to dot" picture, by you'll need to add the numbers by
yourself after rendering the picture in Povray.

Thibaut

PS : I had a quick look at your helicopter model. It seems that there
are some artefacts in the silhouette contour (which is why, I guess, you
put the width of this contour to nearly 0, to hide it). These artefacts
are related to problems with the normals in the model itself (typically,
if one normal is wrongly oriented with respect to its neighbours, it
will create one spurious silhouette edge). I tried to mend that on the
.obj model with Poseray ("calculate normals" in the Groups tab), but
without success.  How did you create the model, and it there a way to
check the normal of it before exporting it to .obj format ?