POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Ringworld revisited (day and night) : Re: The Ringworld revisited (day and night) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Ringworld revisited (day and night)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Jun 2010 03:50:02
Message: <4c21bcaa@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <pos### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Interesting flyby video:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXZdaQN3r50
>
> I didn't realize a) that the sun was so large WRT the ring, and b) that
> the inner "shadow" ring was so much nearer the outer ring than the sun.

Nice animation indeed, but:
The shadow squares are wrong. According to Niven, they are located at the
equivalent of the orbit of Mercury, if the ring were at Earth's distance.

Have you seen the Rama animation?

Five years ago, I distilled the following parameters for the Ringworld
system:

 RINGWORLD parameters conversion table

      scale factor
     1,00