POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Ringworld revisited (day and night) : Re: The Ringworld revisited (day and night) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:29:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Ringworld revisited (day and night)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Jun 2010 04:57:57
Message: <4c207b15$1@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Now that really is nice... a bit of light bloom and more opaque clouds
> would
> make it almost perfect.

Thanks, yes this can certainly be improved more.

> One thing has just struck me - I don't think the top of the wall would be
> properly visible, especially at night. Since the top sticks out of the
> atmosphere by some 800-900 miles, it should probably be obscured by the
> sky in
> the same way as the arch, only showing up where in full sunlight. I don't
> know
> how to make that look believable :\

Indeed. As I wrote in an earlier answer to you, how the Rim Wall is
perceived from the ground is still a question to me. For the present image,
I think I can do it by scaling differentially the semi-tranparant sky dome
so that the Rim Wall lies outside of it. Hoping that no strange artefacts
will appear in the process. In a future wip I shall experiment with media to
simulate a proper atmosphere. That is going to be more tricky.

Thomas