POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Ringworld revisited (day and night) : Re: The Ringworld revisited (day and night) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Ringworld revisited (day and night)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Jun 2010 04:40:42
Message: <4c20770a$1@news.povray.org>
"Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> schreef in bericht
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> I should look this up of course, but I seem to remember indeed that the
>> Rim Wall was carved into mountain shapes. In the later books, spill
>> mountains were added too for the necessary feeding of rivers.
>
> Indeed. ALtho one must wonder why.

For a simple, geological reason: All the dirt transported by the rivers and
eroded from the landscape would soon fill the seas and oceans. So a feedback
system is installed which transports the deposited sediments from the oceans
back to the rim and on "spill" mountains, which in turn are eroded by
rivers, completing the cycle. Thus a balance is achieved and the original
ring floor is not exposed.

Spill mountains did not appear in the first book but were a later addition
because Larry Niven realized the problem. In the same way, I think that the
description of the Rim Walls evolves from the first book till the later
ones.

Thomas