POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL feature requests : Re: SDL feature requests Server Time
5 May 2024 06:57:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL feature requests
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 20 Jun 2010 19:02:50
Message: <4c1e9e1a$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Yes, I do agree that this practical attempt at what sounded good in
> theory did show some serious caveats of that process.

I think the basic idea is reasonable so if there are problems
with the process the way to go may be to simply tweak the process.
Here are my 2 cents on that:

1. The POV-Ray community is strong in the forum so I think
    that would be the best place for discussing (not tracking)
    new feature suggestions.

2. The bug tracker could be officially extended to also track
    feature requests (although you can currently add them, this
    is not described or commented on anywhere). A sensible rule
    for opening a new feature request would then be that it must
    be discussed in the newsgroups first, to weed out crackpot
    ideas and to refine ideas by feedback from what users
    actually need.

3. After discussion, the request should only be entered if a member of
    the POV-Ray team deems the request reasonable (note that a request
    should not be deemed unreasonable at this point just because it would
    be too much effort to implement right now).

4. This process only works if each feature request in the newsgroups
    actually gets read by member of the POV team, so it might be useful
    to add a new group povray.feature-requests or similar.

5. The feature request entry should link back to the newsgroup thread
    discussing the feature request, and a link to the new task should be
    posted on the thread as a notification.

6. Once a feature request is added it must remain visible whatever
    state it is set to. I have no experience with Flyspray but I'd
    expect there to be some configuration/solution for this.