POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL feature requests : Re: SDL feature requests Server Time
5 May 2024 07:29:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL feature requests
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Jun 2010 16:38:26
Message: <4c1e7c42$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/20/2010 9:51 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 20.06.2010 10:10, schrieb SharkD:
>> Again, I think it would be good to have a formal means of discussing and
>> tracking feature requests for non-devs, since bugtracker seems to be
>> "for devs only."
>>
>> My reasoning is that feature requests are hidden once they are closed on
>> bugtracker, so there's no obvious way to view them. There's also no way
>> to discuss them further since discussions are closed once the request is
>> locked.
>>
>> This is definitely not a method that is amenable to users.
>
> Yes, I do agree that this practical attempt at what sounded good in
> theory did show some serious caveats of that process.
>
> I don't think the way things were handled was the right way to handle
> them, but extrapolating from this experience, my idea of the process may
> be less universal than I had imagined; and similar outcomes may have to
> be expected in future, too.
>
> My apologies for the inconvenience.
Just going to drop a comment here. For POVRay, a "democratic" vote on
feature thing may sort of work. Linden Labs uses the same system for
their bug/feature tracker, and its gotten to be so much of a horrible
swamp that even finding "if" something has been suggested, so you can
vote, or comment, never mind do so before something gets closed,or
relocated, or incorrectly marked as fixed (this happens a bit too often
in some cases, sometimes due to a "we think we had a fix pending, only
it didn't work, but no one bothered to reopen the issue, when it
failed", or just lost in the mire. My opinion of such systems is, as a
result... rather jaded. lol Not sure, reading the posts on the subject,
over the last 24 hours, is impressing me with it here either. Seems like
we are seeing the same sort of issues, "I think my suggestion still
needs time to be commented on, but someone closed it.", sort of thing.
Don't make the same mistakes Linden has.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {