POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Ringworld revisited (day and night) : Re: The Ringworld revisited (day and night) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Ringworld revisited (day and night)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Jun 2010 04:34:44
Message: <4c1b2fa4@news.povray.org>
After some tweaking of the Ringworld and playing with landscape generation,
here is a first test.

1) I wrote the whole Ringworld basics, including Sun and Shadow Squares into
a macro to make it easy to add in any scene.

2) An interesting experiment is to make the area_light of the Sun a tiny bit
larger than the Shadow Squares. It results a bit like the corona
illuminating diffusely the night skies along the ring. THis is not the case
in the present image.

3) For the landscape I made use of John VanSickle's height_field patchwork
macro. It is a bit difficult to control, especially in the areas nearest the
camera (see image) but it results in interesting landscapes.

4) The dark shape to the right is not an artefact but the Rim Wall.

5) I am testing ways of making local clouds but not with anything really
useful till now.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: