POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Spheres stretching at the edges of the camera view--warping. : Re: Spheres stretching at the edges of the camera view--warping. Server Time
17 May 2024 20:34:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spheres stretching at the edges of the camera view--warping.
From: Alain
Date: 16 Jun 2010 12:12:51
Message: <4c18f803$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi,
>
> I've been rendering some rolling spheres across the screen, but I'm noticing
> that the spheres start to warp at the edges of my view. I've been playing with
> the right function and other camera parameters, but I can't seem to get it
> right.
>
> This artifact appears almost like a stretching so the balls on the outside are
> no longer perfectly spherical.
>
> Has anyone seen this issue before? I'm thinking its something simple I'm not
> doing.

That's perfectly normal.
A sphere define a cone with it's apex at the camera location.
That cone intersects the view plane.
The intersection of a cone and a plane is an ellipse.

Thus, unless the sphere is at the very center of the image, giving a
perpendicular intersection, you get a more or less exentric ellipse.

Alain