POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Ringworld revisited (day and night) : Re: The Ringworld revisited (day and night) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Ringworld revisited (day and night)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Jun 2010 07:33:33
Message: <4c17650d$1@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> The landscape is described as having the same variation as the surface of
> any
> planet - indeed, the maps of the other worlds from known space are all
> there,
> Mars being a plateau raised by some km to simulate the thin atmosphere.
> The most
> interesting lighting conditions will probably be evening/night-time - the
> brightest archlight should be cast from the few next/previous days to
> spinward/antispinward.

The landscapes are not an issue indeed, it is the full daylight lighting
which is *uninteresting* in itself. Shadows from trees should become
important items for giving more contrast to the relief.
You are right, interesting effects should be obtained from twilight periods.
This is something to investigate further I think.

> To be honest, the best way of doing this is probably to pick your position
> across the ring width, render a spherical camera view with nothing on the
> ring
> floor, then just use it on a sky sphere/light probe for the landscape
> scene of
> your choice. Not as satisfying, unfortunately... :(

This is indeed an idea to follow up. I forgot for the moment the possibility
of a HDRI light probe and shall try that out, although - as you say - this
is somewhat less satisfying.

Thomas